The Sumner Virtual Academy (SVA) will serve as an alternative method of instructional delivery for students Kindergarten through twelfth grade, and students enrolled in this option will receive daily online instruction delivered by a classroom teacher. Assignments and assessments will be regularly assigned through the Google Classroom platform. The same expectation regarding high quality instruction following the district’s curriculum and pacing will take place at SVA. Kindergarten through eighth grade students will enroll in Sumner Virtual Academy and be committed for nine weeks at a time. High School students (9th-12th grades) will enroll, and be committed for the semester.
The Sumner Virtual Academy is also required to monitor student daily attendance in accordance with all applicable state laws, regulations, and local school board policies. Parents/guardians have the legal responsibility to be accountable for their student’s attendance under state law. Virtual Academy faculty will monitor violations of the state compulsory attendance laws and report truant students to the proper legal authorities.
Virtual Academy students are required to attend multiple sessions each day and are expected to adhere to all district attendance policies. Attendance is based on participation in online learning sessions and work completed. An instructional day consists of six and one-half (6.5) hours of learning. Failure to attend sessions each day and/or complete lessons assigned by the teacher may result in a student being recorded as absent for the instructional day.
Virtual school enrollees may participate in activities within their school of zone following the TSSAA guidelines. Parents/guardians and student should understand, acknowledge, and agree to the following:
- The parent/guardian and student are responsible for monitoring student progress in each course and each course must be completed to receive credit;
- The parent/guardian and student are subject to compulsory attendance requirements;
- The student must participate in live sessions each school day and failure to login and/or complete lessons may result in the student receiving an absence for the instructional day;
- Each student will have reliable, daily access to the internet and a computer/device outside of school.
- The student will comply with district policies and will follow the traditional classroom hours and calendar.
- Teachers will provide assignments, provide feedback, and record grades in Skyward. Formal reports of grades will follow the same timeline of the traditional calendar.
- Students receiving special education services will be assigned a teacher at their school of zone/service, subject to change based on enrollment.
- Failure to meet the requirements of the Sumner Virtual Academy will result in a hearing by the academy’s review board for a possible return to the child’s school of zone.
Those interested in this enrollment option will be able to register through Skyward but will complete their enrollment on the designated Registration Nights at their school of zone.